Here is what the National Union of Teachers say about free schools on their website.
The NUT opposes free schools. We believe it is wrong that state funding should be given to small groups of individuals to run schools that are unaccountable to their local communities. We believe that free schools undermine:
- teachers’ professional status and their pay and conditions;
- local authorities’ ability to plan and manage school places;
- common admissions’ arrangements and fuel social segregation;
- fair funding for schools – free schools are getting a disproportionate share of capital and revenue funding for schools at a time when education budgets are being cut; and
- democratic local accountability of schools to their communities